COVID-19 Cemetery Safety Procedures
Due to health concerns for cemetery staff and visitors, we have implemented safety procedures to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
For the most current information on COVID-19 safety procedures and visiting hours, please contact the cemetery before your visit.
- Committal services will resume at the State Veteran Memorial Cemeteries in Milledgeville and Glennville on Monday, April 12, 2021.
- In addition to restarting services for new interments, the cemeteries will be contacting the next of kin of deceased veterans/family members who were unable to have a service during the past year due to the pandemic. They will be offered the opportunity to schedule a short memorial service if desired.
- Committal services at the cemetery are a brief service and should be no more than 15 minutes in length. They may be followed by military honors, if required.
- Military honors may still be limited based upon availability or restrictions placed by the appropriate branch of service. If any type of military honors were performed by uniformed service members prior to the committal service, they will not be able to have them performed again.
- 30 minutes is allotted for funeral parties to get into place at their scheduled time, conduct a committal service, perform military honors, and exit the area. We ask the funeral party to exit the area around the building (including parking) so setup can begin for additional committal services and other cemetery operations.
- The use of the Committal Shelter at the cemetery for services includes a recommended limit of 20 people inside the building. Any additional funeral party members are asked to wait outside and listen to the proceedings through the external speaker system.
- All funeral party members and funeral home staff are encouraged to wear masks or face coverings while inside the building or in close contact with others.
- Social distancing is encouraged while at the cemetery with a recommended distance of at least 3 feet.
- Family members are asked to come back to the cemetery for viewing of completed casketed gravesites after 4:00 p.m. on the day of the burial. Casketed gravesites are closed but not finished (sod and final appearance work) until all burials in that section are completed for the day.
- Families are encouraged to keep gravesite viewing to small groups. Please be mindful of other visitors to the cemetery.
GVMC-Milledgeville Director Linda Lavender
GVMC-Milledgeville Assistant Director Cassie Mickler