The Georgia Veterans Memorial Cemeteries, established for the interment of faithful and honorable military veterans, are shrines recognizing all Georgia veterans.
Each cemetery includes a welcome center, a chapel, in-ground interment areas, and columbariums connected by paved roadways and walkways in beautiful landscaped settings. Gravesite locators are available for the convenience of visitors.
Eligible for interment:
- Veterans with a discharge other than dishonorable
- Members of the Reserves or National Guard who were eligible for retirement pay at the time of death (or who would have been entitled to retirement pay at age 60)
- Members of the U.S. armed forces killed in the line of duty while on active duty or active duty for training
- Members of the U.S. armed forces who otherwise died on active duty
- Certain other veterans as defined in federal law
- Spouses, unmarried dependents under the age of 21, and eligible life-long dependents of any of the above
Proper paperwork is required to determine eligibility. The veteran's name; rank; serial, social security and VA claim numbers; date of birth and date of death must be provided to cemetery personnel. A copy of the veteran's DD Form 214 or other proof of service is required. A copy of the marriage certificate is required for the spouse to be buried with the veteran.
Standard upright, granite headstones are used to mark the burial sites of casketed and cremated remains. Small granite covers are used to mark the niches of cremated remains placed in columbariums.
Plots, vaults, niches, and markers are provided at no charge. Use of the committal chapel for interment services is also free. The family is responsible for all other expenses.
The vaults provided are concrete-lined and double-depth for the veteran and spouse or dependent. (If the veteran selects interment for cremated remains, the spouse or dependent must also select interment for cremated remains.)
The GDVS pledges to honor the dignity and memory of each person. Cemetery staff will make the interment as compassionate and comfortable as possible, ensuring the committal service and any other requests are handled respectfully. They will assist family and friends in every way possible during their time of sorrow.
Business hours are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Interment hours are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Visiting hours are from 8 a.m. to dusk daily, including weekends.
8819 U.S. Highway 301, Glennville, GA 30427
2617 Vinson Highway, Milledgeville, GA 31061