State War Veterans Homes
There are two skilled nursing care homes for eligible war veterans located in Georgia. One is in Augusta and the other is in Milledgeville.
The primary mission of these homes is to provide high-quality skilled nursing care to veterans while seeking to improve their quality of life and overall health.
The veteran must be a current Georgia resident and meet one of the following conditions:
- Resided in Georgia two years immediately preceding the date of application
- Resided in Georgia five or more of the past 15 years
The veteran must have served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces during one of the following wartime periods:
- World War II: December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
- Post-World War II: January 1, 1947 - June 26, 1950
- Korea: June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
- Cold War: January 31, 1955 - August 1, 1990
- Vietnam: July 1, 1964 - May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf: August 2, 1990 - present
- The veteran must have a discharge under other than dishonorable conditions.
- The veteran must be approved as eligible for skilled nursing care by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The veteran must be free of contagious infectious disease and behavioral and psychiatric problems.
- The veteran must not need to be sustained by line-operated mechanical means.
To apply for admission, contact the Admissions Office of one of the homes or any GDVS Veterans Field Service Office.
A nominal daily fee is charged. Eligible veterans may apply for the federal Aid & Attendance benefit to help offset this fee. For veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 70 percent or higher or whose admission is due to a service-connected condition, the daily fee is paid in full by VA.