Post-9/11 GI Bill
Individuals with active duty service since September 11, 2001, may be eligible for this benefit and can apply online.
The program provides tuition and fees, a housing allowance, a books and supplies stipend, and the option to transfer these benefits to family members under certain circumstances. For more information, visit the GI Bill website or call 888–GIBILL–1.
Veterans may also contact GDVS's Education & Training Division at 404-656-2306.
Veterans who qualify under previous GI Bill provisions are especially encouraged to find out how the new options could affect them.
Factors to consider when deciding if you should apply for Chapter 33 benefits.
Which benefit pays you more?
- What Chapter 33 tier are you eligible for?
- Are you receiving other aid? Does that pay tuition and fees? (HOPE, Scholarship, etc.)
- Does your type & level of training qualify you for the housing allowance?
- What is your planned level of enrollment for the term?
What type of training are you enrolling in?
- Online? To receive the housing allowance, at least one class must be in a classroom and you must be enrolled at over half time.
- Covered under Chapter 33? NCD, Flight, Correspondence, and OJT/Apprenticeship are not covered.
How many months of MGIB-AD Chapter 30 do you have remaining?
- If you have entitlement remaining under MGIB-AD, the number of months of the Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement you will be eligible for will be equal to the number of months remaining under MGIB-AD.
However, if you exhaust all of your MGIB-AD entitlement, then you may be entitled to an additional 12 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
You may compare your options at gibill.va.gov.